The house was closed for regular tours on October 12, 2019. Tours may be scheduled for groups by appointment after that date, contact Connie Sargent at 231-223-8866 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. The most recent tour was arranged by Cordia.
More than 700 visitors have toured the mission house since June 15, 2019.
Beginning in 2004, a group of Old Mission Peninsula residents collaborated with the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy, the Old Mission Peninsula Historical Society, the Grand Traverse Regional Community Foundation and Peninsula Township to raise over $575,000. The 1842 home built by Reverend Peter Dougherty, a Presbyterian minister, and 15 acres of surrounding land in the village of Old Mission, Michigan were acquired. In July, 2006, the home and property were deeded to Peninsula Township. It became a part of the Michigan Historic Preservation Network, thereby placing the home and property in conservancy.
The home and surrounding grounds required extensive restoration. When completed, the House site will become an historical, cultural educational and community center as well as a museum for all visitors. Plans for the surrounding 15 acres include the completed Heritage Trail and Disabled Trail as well as heirloom orchards and gardens which will reflect farming in the late 19th Century. The exterior and foundation have been restored, and the interior is done. We have furnished the interior with furniture and artifacts appropriate to the period from 1839 to 1910.
In 2006, the Peter Dougherty Society (PDS) was created. PDS is responsible for the restoration of the Dougherty House and the development of the surrounding 15 acres. The PDS is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization. The property was placed on the National Register of Historical Places with State level significance.
The current Directors of the Peter Dougherty Society are:
William Cole, President
Chris Rieser, Treasurer
TO DONATE ONLINE
Peter Dougherty Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
PO Box 101, Old Mission, MI 49673