- The Society received grants from the following Foundations in 2014:
1. Biederman Foundation
2. Rotary Charities
3. Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians
4. Oleson Foundation
5. Bethlehem Lutheran Church Endowment
6. Acentek Communications
7. Old Mission Historical Society
- The Society participated with the Old Mission Historical Society in Log Cabin Day on June 30, 2014. The Dougherty “Mission House”, Ice House, Outhouse and walking trail were available to visitors. Additionally, the fully restored circa 1900 cutter was on display as well as a significant display of artifacts retrieved from a previous privy site. Attendance increased from the previous Log Cabin Day as well as donations.
- The annual summer fundraiser was held on August 9, 2014 at Bowers Harbor The event raised $4681.00.
- The annual spring cleanup of the Dougherty property was held on May 10, 2014 which included trail maintenance
- Work completed on the summer kitchen included rebuilding the cistern, installing a wooden floor, plastering the ceiling and walls, painting the walls and ceiling with a form of milk paint and completing all necessary electrical work. A drainage system was completed around the building.
- Approximately 1039 on-site hours of volunteer time was accumulated from January through November 28, 2014 work sessions. Additionally, many hours were spent in 2013 by the Peter Dougherty Board in meetings, planning sessions, fundraising activities, and working with the contractor and architect to develop blueprints for restoration of the Dougherty “Mission House”.
- Repaired rotten window sills on the Dougherty “Mission House”
- A winter 2014-2015 appeal letter was sent to approximately 3300 individuals requesting contributions for our restoration efforts.
- Significant progress has been made on the Jeffris Matching Grand challenge. Although, there are still funds that need to be raised.
- Submitted a formal request to the Michigan Historic Preservation Network to continue archaeological dig on privy sites
- Began removal of the circa 1930 fireplace which is not the period of interest
- Created 3 garden beds with treated wood with appropriate signage
- Questers’ garage sale in May raised $1000 for PDS
• The Dougherty House and all out-buildings were painted.
• New front porch of the Dougherty House was completed
• Handicap ramp on South Side of Dougherty House completed
• Mechanical, electrical and plumbing were roughed in.
• Floors on main floor repaired.
• Handicapped bathroom insulated and prepped for sink and bowl installations.
• Propane tank was buried and connected to house.
• The joint archaeological dig conducted by joint efforts of Northwestern Michigan College and North Central Michigan College
has been completed and the site is filled and graded.
• The walk between summer kitchen and house compacted with diamond dust.
• Michigan State Historical sign was erected in front of the house.
• Handicap trail was completed.
• Sprayed insulation in parts of ceiling was completed.
• Washed stones were placed around three sides of the house and woodchips were used along the front side.
• Woodchips have been placed on the upper trail.
• Front, north, south sides of house have been graded and properly backfilled away from house and grass seed planted around
• Approximately 1851 on-site hours of volunteer time was accumulated from January through November 30, 2016 in work sessions. Additionally, many hours were spent by the Peter Dougherty Board in meetings, planning sessions, fundraising activities and work with the contractor and architects.
• During November, 2016, a winter appeal letter was sent to approximately 3300 individuals requesting donations to assist PDS in continuing the restoration of the Dougherty Mission House.
• The PDS participated with the Old Mission Peninsula Historical Society in Log Cabin Day on June 26, 2016. The Dougherty Mission House, Ice House, Privy and walking trails were available to all visitors. There was also a significant number of artifacts retrieved from the archaeological dig on display. Attendance continued to increase to approximately, 280 visitors.
• The August 6th Fundraiser was successful in raising over $3000.00.
• Participated in Friday Nite Live.
• A team of volunteers sorted through artifacts at Haserot Storage building. Several items were moved to Big Jon for preservation purposes.
• Completed the restoration of all interior doors.
• Quester Garage Sale provided $1000 for the restoration of Dougherty House.
- The Society received a 1 for 2 challenge grant of $156,942 from the Jeffries Family Foundation. When the challenge is met, the Peter Dougherty Society will be able to complete the restoration of the Dougherty “Mission House”.
- The Society participated with the Old Mission Historical society in Log Cabin Day on June 30, 2013. The Dougherty “Mission House”, Ice House, Outhouse, and walking trail were available to visitors. Also, the fully restored circa 1900 cutter was on display as well as numerous artifacts from the digging at previous privy site. We had our greatest number of visitors ever at this year’s event. Ice cream sundaes and cookies were served to visitors.
- The annual summer fundraiser and auction was held on August 3, 2013 at the Grand Traverse Yacht Club. The event raised $5645.00.
- The annual spring cleanup was on May 11, 2013. The local Boy Scout Troop #34 assisted in the clean-up. One troop member used the day as part of his eagle scout requirement. During the day, four benches were built and placed around the Heritage Trail.
- Reconstruction of the Dougherty House windows, begun in the fall of 2012, was completed in June and installed in the house in time for Log Cabin Day thanks to a grant of $5766 from the International Questers.
- Approximately 1525 on-site hours of volunteer time were accumulated during the 2013 work sessions. Additionally, many hours were spent in 2013 by the Peter Dougherty Society Board in meetings, planning sessions, fund raising activities and numerous miscellaneous activities related to the restoration of the Dougherty buildings.
- The summer kitchen/carriage shed was reshingled with cedar shingles. All necessary siding was replaced with cedar siding. The doors and their antique locks were repaired and replaced. The entire building was painted with primer. The eaves on the east and south side of the summer kitchen/carriage shed were rebuilt as well as the soffits. Work also was begun on re-cementing the cistern and replacing the floor in the summer kitchen.
- Thanks to Questers Wequetang #781 for conducting a garage sale on May 16 and 17 with $1080 going to the Peter Dougherty Society.
- Work was begun with Ray Kendra of Environment Architects to develop blueprints for the restoration of the Dougherty “Mission House”.
- As part of our Capital Campaign to finish the restoration of the Dougherty “Mission House”, an appeal letter was sent to all Peninsula residents and previous non-resident contributors on November 14.
- The Society received from the Historic Center of Traverse City a 2013 Historic Restoration Award on October 21.
- An example of a historical garden representative of the Dougherty and early Rushmore era using heirloom seeds was created. Several volunteers participated in the garden project.
- The Society received a grant of $5766 from Questers Wequetong #781 to rebuild the windows in the Dougherty “Mission House”. Antique window glass or reproduction antique glass will be used. Reconstruction of windows began in fall of 2012.
- The Society also received a grant of $1610 from Questers Wequetong #781 to restore the circa 1900 cutter (one horse sleigh).
- Some Heritage Trail maintenance was completed and five pathway trail signs were placed at various locations.
- ACE Communication group donated $1045 to construct a kiosk and five benches to be placed on the property. The Kiosk and one bench have been completed; the remaining four benches are ready for construction in 2013.
- The Society participated with the Old Mission Historical Society in Log Cabin Day on June 24, 2012. The Dougherty “Mission House”, Ice House, Outhouse and walking trail were available to visitors. Ice cream was served to visitors. The greatest number of persons visited the event this year.
- The Annual fund raiser and auction was held on August 4, 2012 at the Grand Traverse Yacht Club. Slightly over $6000 was raised.
- Annual spring cleanup was done on May 12, 2012.
- A year-end appeal letter was sent to all Old Mission Peninsula residents and previous non-resident contributors.
- Approximately 1127 on-site hours of volunteer time was accumulated during the 2012 work sessions. Additionally, many hours were spent in 2012 by the Peter Dougherty Society Board in meeting, planning sessions, fund raising activities and numerous miscellaneous activities related to the restoration of the Dougherty buildings.
- Questers Wequetong #781 conducted a garage sale on May 18 and 19, 2012 with $1000 going to the Peter Dougherty Society.
- The stabilization of the entire foundation of the summer kitchen/carriage shed was completed.
- The roof of the Summer Kitchen/Carriage Shed was stabilized. Wooden beams were placed along either side of the peak running west to east to straighten the peak line as well as strengthen the roof.
- An auction package was put together for the Michigan Historic Preservation Network’s 18th Annual Fall Benefit at the historic Grand Army of the Republic Building in Detroit. It consisted of one night accommodation for two at the Grey Hare Inn, three wineries provided VIP tours and complimentary wine tasting for two, a coupon for Lavender products were provided by Harbor View Farm, free tour of the Lighthouse and a guided tour of the Dougherty “Mission House”, out buildings and property.
• The Society received notification that the Dougherty Mission House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places at the State Level of Significance.
• The Dougherty House was reshingled with cedar shingles restoring it to its original covering. Support for the reshingling was received from American Waste who generously provided a large waste container for the project.
• Work was completed on the south side of the summer kitchen/carriage shed which included foundation repair, new studs and siding
• The Peter Dougherty Society was given four items that historically belonged in the Dougherty House when occupied by the Rushmores: a secretariat, a 3-drawer chest with mirror, a 3-drawer chest and mirror with reverse painting of the Dougherty House.
• We participated with Old Mission Historical Society in Log Cabin Day on the last Sunday of June opening the Dougherty House, Ice House, Outhouse and Heritage Walking Trail.
• A 14-page brochure was developed to use with the Capital Campaign.
• The Annual Fundraiser and silent auction was held at the Jolly Pumpkin Conference Center on August 4. Ace Communication generously provided corporate support for the Annual Fundraiser.
• An annual spring cleanup of the Dougherty Mission House property, including hiking trail maintenance took place.
• A year-end appeal letter was sent to all Old Mission residents and non-resident contributors.
• We accumulated approximately 561 on-site hours of volunteer time during the 2011 summer work period. Additionally, countless hours were spent in 2011 by the Peter Dougherty Society Board in Board meetings, planning sessions, fund raising activities and numerous miscellaneous activities involving the Dougherty Mission House.
• The Peter Dougherty Society website was updated and the website address is www.oldmissionhouse.com
• Quester Wequetong #781, a historical preservation society, conducted a garage sale with all proceeds donated to PDS. Additionally, they are writing two grants seeking funds for restoration projects in the Dougherty Mission House.
• Received permission from William Hosner, internationally acclaimed Traverse City artist to use an image of his pastel painting of the Dougherty Mission House for fund raising purposes. Currently, ten note cards per box are being sold by various area merchants.
• Obtained grant to have Quinn/Evans Architects complete and report a Historic Structure Report and Interior Use Design for the Dougherty House
• Revised application for National Register Historic Places in line with State Historic Preservation Office recommendations and secure “State” designation status submitted October 1, 2010
• Worked with Visual Communications students of NMC to develop outdoor signage for the property encompassing the overall property sign, individual building signs, and trail signs.
• Developed a proposal to MHPN requesting approval of required restoration on the Summer Kitchen/Carriage House. The restoration is based upon a Historic Structures Report completed by Gerry Harsch. The proposal was approved by MHPN. During the summer of 2010 the north wall was restored. This included removing the indentation, restoring the carriage door, replacing most of the foundation, sills, many studs, top plates and roof joists.
• Removed inventory items from the house, re-boxed, and relocated all items to storage facility
• Completed Outhouse including whitewashing and restoring viewing window
• Participated with Old Mission Historical Society in Log Cabin Days on last Sunday of June opening the Ice House, Outhouse and Walking Trail.
• Held Annual Fundraiser and silent auction at the Jolly Pumpkin Conference Center in conjunction with Michigan Historic Preservation Network in June.
• Held annual spring cleanup of property, including hiking trail maintenance
• Sent out year-end appeal letter to all Old Mission residents and non-resident contributors.
• Removed plumbing and bathroom fixtures from the house
• Obtained approximately 1013 board feet of historic lumber donated by Roger Myers and approximately 190 board feet of historic lumber averaging 18 inches in width donated by Ethel Rushmore.
• Accumulated approximately 540 hours of volunteer time was received during the 2010 summer work period between June 1 and October 21, 2010.
- Received a matching grant from Jeffris Heartland in March for $18,000 to do an exterior and interior Historic Structures Report as well as layout and exhibit recommendations
- With the assistance of Russ Clark Landscape Architect, a Heritage Hiking Trail was developed.
- Old Mission Women’s Club provided a grant to help defray the cost of putting in the Heritage Trail
- During the summer, Northwest Michigan Works Youth Corps cleared the trail, laid wood chips and built a bridge over a culvert.
- Youth Corps assisted in cleaning the attic of the Dougherty House, summer kitchen/carriage house and a large pile of debris on the property
- Ice House was opened for visitors and included displays and photos inside the ice house.
- Successful summer fundraiser was held on August 8.
- Howard Dunkin, a great nephew of Anna Dougherty Contacted the Peter Dougherty Society and donated 8 carpentry planes which belonged to Reverend Peter Dougherty.
- Conducted spring cleanup of open areas around the house
- • Reconstructed stone foundation of the icehouse and reassembled 1895 icehouse on new foundation
- • Removed dangerous fire damaged tree in front of house and large maple tree which was encroaching on the Summer Kitchen/Carriage House
• Historic Structure completed by students in Eastern Michigan University’s Historic Preservation Masters’ Program and Architect Ilene Tyler from the Ann Arbor office of Quinn Evans Architects
• Developed hierarchy of stabilization needs and cost estimates for the main house and summer kitchen/carriage house with the assistance of Whiteford & Associates and executed Phase I
• Staked out driveway, parking lot based on the proposal from the Site Development Committee and with assistance from Russ Clark Associates
• Conducted Spring and Fall clean up of open areas around structures
• Held annual fundraising dinner in late summer